Friday, January 23, 2015

My first blog post

Hello, my name is Sarah Colburn and I am 24 years old. I am a veterinary technician by day and a jewelry maker by night. 

Let me also say right now those two things certainly aren't my only two passions! Currently I am also helping my boyfriend fix up our 1840s auction house. Wow what a chore! So as you might imagine things can get pretty hectic and busy in my life when I try to Balance everything in my life. Something I often say is,  "There isn't enough hours in the day!". Does any one else ever feel that way?

I want you to get an idea of who I am. 


I'm a short little lady who often gets mistaken for a kid, but trust me I have a lot of skills and things on my plate. Wether I'm helping the vet in surgery, taking X-rays, drawing blood, dry walling, tiling, or stringing beads. I am more than I seem. It was instilled in me from an early age to try to be skilled in many kinds of things. My dad taught me the manly things like small motor repair, how to buy and sell, cut wood, and plant your own food. When I lost him this past August I was really at a loss. He could no longer help me learn new skills or be there to answer some question about that noise my car was making. I was on my own. I now have this attitude stronger than ever though, that if something needs to be done try to figure out how to do it my self.

Currently I am working on an upstairs bedroom of our house. The house is old and has angled crooked ceilings. Our current task is to take take down any broken plaster, put up sheet rock and get a room for me to do my jewelry making in. It is looking pretty well, but it isn't a labor of love to be sure. It's exceptionally difficult to meet Sheetrock and plaster at a 45 degree angle.  I am part of a group on Facebook called the bsue boutiqes creative group. We show our work tables on Wednesday and finished projects Friday. People often comment on the fact that I build and glue over my living room floor/ area run but it's my only place. Believe it or not my jewelry used to be created on a crowded apartment livig room floor so trust me it's an improvement. Hopefully soon that bedroom will be finished.

So that creative group I was telling you about holds giveaways for people who participate. One of the newest challenges is a log one where participants must build a cordinatig line of jewelry with components that can be duplicated over and over. I decided this kind of challenge wasn't for me, but I did want to follow along a little. Part of the challenge was to make a blog. That's what I'm doing here. I'm also trying to decide on an easy line of jewelry that could be duplicated and sold as a coordinating line. Well that's where my love of animals is going to come in. I have already began to release dog and cat related jewelry in my etsy shop. I have added simple earrings, cameo necklaces, and cuff bracelets.

See my shop here

Animal jewelry


Anyway my goal with this blog is connect with others with the same interests as me and to go over my creative blunders and to show people my creative jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment